My style of teaching is tailor-made for each individual student. I teach all levels of singers from beginners to professionals and every student of mine receives a personalized lesson and approach to his or her development. Singing is not a science; it is a highly personal combination of technique and musicality; the physical and the emotional. As a professional singer, I understand the demands of combining my emotional and musical instincts with a well-founded technique, and I help each of my students strike that balance. Some of the things we work on include:
- Focusing and gathering your sound so it is as efficient and resonant as possible with the least amount of work being done by your muscles
- Finding where your tension lies and releasing it to produce a more relaxed, effortless sound
- Making singing feel good; no, GREAT!
- Exercising to maximize your time while vocalizing and getting you warmed up quicker.
- Using the words in your songs to help "pop" your sound without doing any extra work
- Establishing maintenance and "survival techniques" for singing professionally, on an 8-show-a-week schedule
- Building your repertoire list
- Performing the song: the final product!
I am currently pursuing a Masters Degree in Music at New York University with a certificate in Vocal Pedagogy. My growing knowledge of the voice combined with my years of professional experience as a singer provides my students with the ultimate in guidance and knowledge. I am very passionate about teaching and sharing what I have learned. I look forward to working with you!
ELENA'S STUDENTS INCLUDE
ANDREW KEENAN-BOLGER (Newsies, Submissions Only)
(Wicked, Mary Poppins)
(The Last Goodbye)